Monday, August 15, 2011

Tough Callings

At this year’s Willow Creek Leadership Summit, we were asked to mediate on, pray about and write down what God was revealing to us about a tough calling in our lives. What I wrote down was this:
Greg, the American church is broken.”
Over the last number of years,
This has been the thing that keeps me up at night more than anything else
This has been the thing that stirs my soul like no other-my holy discontent
This has been the thing that I find continually comes up in conversation over and over again no matter the person I am talking to

And I want to be clear about what I am saying: I am not calling out one particular brand of church over another. I am not calling out any church of any size over another. It is irrelevant to me whether the church meets in a home, a store front, a coffee shop, or a large building. Folks, I believe that the AMERICAN CHURCH is broken. And WE are the American Church.

And yet despite this brokenness, Jesus is still in the business of redeeming a lost world to himself through the church.
Do you believe that?


No comments:

Post a Comment